Monday, December 3, 2007

Positive Attitude (steer clear of judging others)

I read something the other day where a guy promised himself that the day he could get through an entire day without judging another person, he would reward himself with an ice cream sundae. This guy is apparently the peaceful sort who really does practice trying to stay positive, but he admits he hasn't managed to earn the sundae yet after many years.

Interesting thought. Sure, if you stay home and don't interact with others, you might manage it. Play video games, the kind where you don't interact with others, and you might get through your day without thinking of real life and passing judgment. Tougher to do when we're out and interacting.

I do try, and often fail. I think I fail mainly due to not thinking about it. I guess the good news is, when I catch myself doing it, I can usually change the direction of what I'm thinking and then my actions will show it, my words will show it, and maybe this is something that'll make a little difference.

So maybe we just do our best. If life is a sailing ship, you have the wheel. Steer it towards positivity anytime you feel yourself drifting off course, and if you're headed into the direction of positivity more often than you drift off course, you should reach your destination a bit easier each time.

Maybe eventually we'll earn an ice cream sundae. Well, go ahead and have one anyway. Don't judge yourself.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger keri marion said...

i've been noticing that i make the biggest judgements on the people who make judgements. that's a tough one for me. i'm working on it, though.

self-righteousness is a problem, too, now that i think about it.

all this work to be done. (a little at a time, through my lifetime, might make it all change.)

December 5, 2007 at 10:39 PM  
Blogger Perry Lewellyn said...

What if one judges those who judge those who judge? :)

December 6, 2007 at 10:27 PM  
Blogger keri marion said...

gah! jp! you've turned my head inside out.

I've been walking around the last week or so being very conscious of my thoughts.

For instance, I just wrote "I'm not being a freak about it..." and then erased it because it doesn't matter whether or not anyone thinks I'm being a freak.

When talking with a friend this morning I realized how simple it is to be judgemental - and I'm doing my best to not judge my friend for the feelings carried.

And while I did not make my non-judgemental quota for the day, I recognized different areas in my speech and in my friend's speech that allowed for judgement to occur.

Doing my best,
k

December 9, 2007 at 2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home