Thursday, February 7, 2008

Lightening Up and Being Where You Are

I was out driving today for work, on the way from one appointment to the next, when I noticed a sign that said "Do What You Can. Be Where You Are." I thought this was a very perfect thing to read at that particular moment because I was working on my own practice of mindfulness, trying to be a mindful driver. Like most people, I could get distracted by thoughts. Like many who are working on being mindful and living in the moment, sometimes we scold ourselves a bit for getting off track.

Do What You Can. Be Where You Are. I am reading a book by Pema Chodron at the moment, a well-known Tibetan Buddhist Nun, called Start Where You Are, which touches on this concept within the first chapter. It just happens that today I started really reading it, so twice in a day the same reminder in two places. Pema says "Lighten up." when we're working on our own practice we need a bit of humor in how we address our supposed imperfections. It's all about being where you are and starting there, not holding on to this ideal of what you want to become. We'll become "that" as we are in the process of becoming. Becoming is more present.

So, lighten up. She goes as far as to say that people even talk themselves out of trying just because someone like her says lighten up and then they think "I can't lighten up so I better not try practicing what I want to be." Anything can be achieved through practice.

It's a good thought for me to keep in mind.

On another note, I wrote a post on mindfulness on another site, VisaliaWellness.com. Here's the link.

1 Comments:

Blogger keri marion said...

this is nice and good advice.

what a lovely sign to happen upon!

February 10, 2008 at 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home